Forget the baby gear, here is a list of items that your friend will actually need and use when she comes home from the hospital.
1. Hemorrhoid pads/cream. We all know how fun that pregnancy/delivery bonus can be.
2. Extra long, 'overnighter' maxi pads. You know, the kind that make you feel like you are riding a saddle, except you are not on a horse, you are sitting on the couch in your black stretchy pants.
3. Stool softener. Your friend may think it is gross, but she will be kissing your feet after she realizes she needs it. The post-delivery poo is no joke. Do not under emphasize the importance of the stool softener.
4. Lanolin. The "girls" will need some extra TLC. Instruct her to start applying before the baby is born, and to bring it to the hospital if she is breastfeeding.
5. Ingredients to make chocolate chip cookie dough. Every pregnant lady misses the goodness that is raw cookie dough.
6. Her favorite form of caffeine. She may think she will be caffeine free, but she will break at some point. If she has gone 9 months without it, she will be ready for it.
7. iTunes gift card. She can download new games to play or shows to watch on her phone during those late night feedings.
8. A giant water cup with a lid and a handle. If she is breastfeeding, she will be thirsty. If she isn't, she can put wine in it.
9. Ponytail holders to pull back her, going on day 3, unwashed hair.
10. Gift card to her favorite pizza delivery place. Don't be stingy, put enough money on there so she can use it more than one time. Cooking? Who has time to cook?